Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mixtape Madness



Its funny how one little red button will start a fixation that will last your whole life.

As a child, when I received my first tape deck from a fat man in fancy dress called Santa, I was instantly drawn to the somewhat magical button labeled "RECORD". Initial experiments with this mysterious contraption resulted in 30 minute broadcasts of bird sounds, toilets flushes and arguments with my sister.

As I further refined my skills I realised that it was possible to hold the microphone of my tape deck to the speaker of my TV enabling me to record my favourite songs as they appeared on my favourite music program, Rage. After this discovery, the tapes began to fill with a strange array of songs and artists including The Beatles, John Farnham, Michael Jackson and that "everybody do the dinosaur" song. Once I filled both sides of a C60 I would take it to my friend’s house and play it for anyone who would listen. I loved how people would respond and react to my creations especially when someone would say "Hey, this song's great. I got to get myself a copy". From this moment, the Mongo Mixtape was born...


Further developments in technology such as high speed dubbing, radioREC and, eventually, CDRs and MP3 helped refine the process of creating a mixtape but the purpose has always remained the same - creating a compilation of great tunes that you can play for others.

I've made tapes for girls whom I would crush on, mates who I was trying to impress and work colleagues who needed a bit of excitement to get them through a shift in the dank kitchens of Sizzler.

I hope you enjoy my mixtapes. They are made for you and, ultimately, I hope you find mountains of music that will be with you forever. If you find something you like then please go out and support the artist and buy their product. Also, please feel free to comment on anything you like, love or even hate.

Enjoy,

Mr. Mongo

2 comments:

  1. i totally did the same thing, holding the deck up to the tv to record rage. but my illustrious list annexed such artistes as kylie & jason, yazz, mel & kim, and stacey q. haha [johnnyg]

    ReplyDelete
  2. guilty as well johnny g... there was definitely some mel n kim on my apes and way too much of the bangles.
    and im sure i still have the cassingle of "especially for you" lying around somewhere - thats got to be worth it's weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete